After being completely useless post-Journey concert on Saturday, I felt like being a good wife Sunday morning and making John some delicious, healthy waffles. Peanut Butter and Banana Cinnamon Waffles with Blueberry Syrup, to be specific.
John was really pumped when I told him what I was making, but then his excitement quickly subsided as he looked at me hesitatingly and said, “You’re going to make them healthy, aren’t you?” Heck, yes, I am! It’s not that John doesn’t enjoy healthy food – he seems to enjoy it more than I do recently – it’s that I’m still pulling him into the belief that whole wheat doesn’t have to equal grainy and disgusting. Honestly, I wasn’t even sure how this would work out – I’ve had whole wheat waffles before, and they’ve always felt dense and dry.
Thankfully, I found this awesome recipe over at The Diva Dish, made a few changes to make it my own, and have enjoyed all the extra waffles for breakfast for the past few days. Now I’m bummed because there are none left.
Whole Wheat Peanut Butter and Banana Cinnamon Waffles
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon liquid stevia
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup Smart Balance Omega 3 oil
- 3/4 cups natural crunchy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 bananas, finely sliced
- Combine dry ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Combine wet ingredients, including peanut butter and bananas, into a separate bowl and mix well.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients. Mix until creamy. (A few bits of banana and peanut crunches are okay.)
- Preheat waffle iron, thoroughly coat with spray, and cook each batch until the waffle iron beeps.